My little Ali gave us a scare yesterday. She went to bed Saturday night complaining of a sore throat. I gave her some cough medicine and a kiss and put her to bed. She continued to get up throughout the night seeming to get worse and worse. We tried different things like the throat spray to numb it, water, pain reliever; nothing seemed to work. By 6:15 in the morning Ali came running in our room gasping for air barely able to tell us that she can't breathe. I took her straight to the ER. They gave her a breathing treatment and were able to get her to calm down. She freaked out again when they had to test her for strep and for influenza. The strep test went ok, but when we told her about the next one she started to freak out and couldn't breathe very well. She wouldn't take the mask off of her face so we could do the flu test. She wouldn't cooperate and so we had to do what we had to do. It took 3 of us to hold that little 8 year old down and one nurse to do the test. It lasted less than a minute, but was very traumatic for Ali. We stayed in the ER for a couple more hours to make sure she didn't need anymore treatments.
Now she is getting better but still didn't get to go to school today because she is still "barking" when she coughs and barely has a voice. She is just doing a lot of laying around, watching movies, and has already consumed 3 cans of chicken noodle soup.







4 comments:
We get the croup too. Awful stuff. If she starts having an attack, did they tell you to take her out into the cold air? That's what they tell us to do. We also have inhalers and nebulizers it happens so much at our house.
Scary. I am sorry you had to do that. We have had to do what needed to be done with a few of our children. It just breaks the heart, even when it is needed. I hope she feels better soon.
Macey had to do that awful influenza test and if I new what they were going to do I wouldn't opted not to because it came out negative. I sure hope Ali will start feeling better soon and the cold air trick totally works just bundle her up and yourself and chill outside for a bit and her air passageway way will open up. Inhumane yes but it works.
There is nothing scarier than coughing, not to mention, croup. Im glad you took her to the ER I probably would have told my child to calm down and take a deep breath. I feel like I have to knocking on death's door to be taken to the ER, I dont know the defination of symptoms a person needs to have to be worthy to be an ER case.
Youre a good momma. The day my dad was burried I had to take Jackson to the Dr because of his coughing (and seizures due to fever) and it turnned out (after the strep, influenza, and X-ray) he had pnemonia (how do you spell that).
I love you momma.
Ali is so considerate to share her germy germs to her siblings. It's a good thing they all have such a good momma. :)
Post a Comment