On April 24, 2008 we laid my father, Ken Shaffer, to rest in his final resting place. He is gone now, but we all know it will not be the last time we will see him. Although difficult, the funeral services were beautiful. A wonderful tribute was made to honor my dad for the truly great man that he was. We thank all who attended to show support. I know there were more people there than he ever thought would care and for that I say thank you. I don't think I even realized how much my dad affected other people's lives, he will be missed so much.
At the funeral I was honored to be able to read a poem that I wrote for my father. I don't know how I was able to get through it without making a complete mess of it all. I would like to share that poem with you now.
A Letter to Dad
With love in our hearts
As children we stand
To gather together
To honor a truly great man
You have brought us a lifetime of joy
And memories too
Even one day is too long
To live without you
And so we will mourn
And shed a few tears
As we think about you
And all our happy years
We will live each day
The way that you would
Following your footsteps
Like good children should
The legacy you have left
Of hard work and of love
Will live on forever
As you watch from above
We will walk uprightly now
On earth we will remain
You can walk uprightly now
As you are free from the pain
We are the people we are
Because the way you have taught
Not a single day will go by
Without you in our thoughts
And when our eyes are closed
It’s your smile we can see
Our father, our friend
Forever you will be
In loving memory of our father, Ken Shaffer
Written by his daughter, Tiffany Head
April 21, 2008
This past week our family has been able to spend a large amount of time with one another. While it was a tragic event that happened to get us together I am grateful for the closeness that we have felt as we have reminised about our childhood and all the good times with Dad. This is definetly a week that will forever affect my life.
I am so thankful to both my mother and my father for the way they have raised us to become the people we are. Thank you Mom for being so loving and caring. I thank my dad for teaching me how important it is to be a good person and a hard-worker. As our family tries to get back to reality I hope we will always remember what an amazing, loving, kind and wonderful man that my dad was.
Dad, we will see you again some day, I love you.








9 comments:
Tiffany, that is (and was) truly beautiful. And I'm so sorry about the...er... musical pre-emption. It was really a privilege to be a part of such a beautiful service. Thank you, and our thoughts and prayers are *still* with you going forward.
Lindsay and I don't know how you got through the poem because we didn't. In fact when they said that you were going to give a poem Lindsay and I turned to each other and the look said it all. We knew there would be no holding back the tears! It was beautiful! Your courage through this all has been awe inspiring...It has been hard to see a best friend have to go through something like this and I only hope you felt my love for you and your family. I love you!
Gorgeous poem. Let us know if we can do anything still.
wow, what a beautiful poem. You did a great job on that Tiffany. you and your family will remain in my prayers.
It truly was amazing how you were able to give that poem so perfectly that day, I know your dad was very proud to see you stand so tall that day just for him. You are amazing Tiff, my love and thoughts go out to you still.
Tiffany, you are amazing. Your strength and grace the past few weeks have been inspiring to watch. this poem shows your remarkable talent as a poet, thank you for sharing it with the rest of us. As always, let me know if you need anything.
Sorry to hear about your dad. I hope you and your family are doing okay.
Tiff, what a beautiful poem. Our prayers have been with you and long distant hugs!
Love, Chelle & Rod
Tiff,
We are so sorry to hear about your dad. Your peom is very beautiful. Your dad was blessed to have such a wonderful daughter. You guys are in our prayers.
Post a Comment