We are a HAPPY family!!!!

We are a HAPPY family!!!!

5.25.2009

How much does an ambulance ride cost?????


Does anyone know??? I guess we'll just have to wait and see the bill when it comes.
On Saturday Ali went to a friend's house to play and decided to try and hang upside down on the swing bar with no hands. Evidently it wasn't a very good idea. She was reaching back up for the bar and her hand slipped and she fell. She landed right on her wrist (almost like she was punching the ground). The amount of pressure broke both of her bones. My friend, Heather, called the paramedics right away and then called us. I was on the other side of town at the time so Ryan was the one that went there. First, we found a place for the babies to go, thanks Jenny and Barry! By the time Ryan got there the paramedics were bringing her to the back of the van. Ryan asked if he could just take her to the ER or if they had to. They said she might need surgery depending on the break. They also said that they could give her medicine right at that very moment to help the pain. If your child were screaming in pain I know you would have done the same thing.

Ryan got to ride in the back of the ambulance with her and I met them there. It was a little freaky to see your daughter's arm in the shape of a question mark. She was being such an amazing and strong little girl. She did everything they told her to and only whined and complained minimally. I'm sure the morphine that they gave her had something to do with her cooperation. 

They did the x-ray and told us that if it all went well she wouldn't need surgery. The doctor gave her more medicine and then moved the bones back into place and put it in a splint. She did great, but it took a while for her to wake up so we had to stay at the hospital for a while.

She is such a little trooper. On the way home she said, "mom, this is annoying!" Wow, it has only been an hour, I thought. She is handling it a lot better than I thought she would.

These pictures are of her the night that it happened. I think the morphine might have still been in effect. Or maybe it was the Tylenol with codeine.







This was how I found her sleeping last night! Notice the barf popcorn bowl (she wasn't feeling well) and the sippy cup. We have found that it is the best way for her to have a drink while not at the table. She thinks it's fun. Oscar thinks otherwise (it's his sippy).

This is Ali today. As you can see she is doing quite well!!!!
We get to call the Orthopedics tomorrow to find out when she gets the real cast. They do the splint first because they need to wait for the swelling to go down. Hopefully I will get a lot of questions answered. I know it will be 6-8 weeks in the cast. Perfect timing, she has a ballet performance on Saturday and swim lessons next month. Oh, well; we'll make it work!

13 comments:

Undaunted said...

Poor Baby! Her splint is so much bigger then her arm. I am glad she is doing better. Good luck with the casting.

Undaunted said...

Oh 12 years ago an ambulence ride for Nik was 700.00 dollars. :P

MKB said...

In 2007 Brent's ambulance ride was $200 something. They charged us $12/mi for a gallon of gas. Hopefully it will be less for you guys.

AJ said...

Sorry to hear about your arm, Ally. Get feeling better soon.

We're wondering about the ambulance cost, too.

Anonymous said...

Ow. Ow, ow, ow! I'm glad she is handling it ok. At least she was able to finish t-ball!

Debbie Murdock said...

Oh poor sweetie!!! I can tell you exactly how much our ambulance ride cost us. Hopefully insurance or something will cover though. When Maryn broke her arm I called the ambulance also and wish I would've been in a state of mind to drive because I could've saved $854 but since the medics gave her medicine they had to drive her. We had minimal insurance which didn't cover that sort of thing. And back then we were only 5 minutes from the hospital and it still was insanely expensive. Sweet Ali I hope everything goes well when you get your cast! Be brave!

Jen Gillespie said...

Oh my lands, poor little girl. Poor mom and dad too! I bet that will be a pretty bill when it comes. Glad she is doing better, and good luck with the recital and swimming. Poor thing.

Langston Family said...

We almost were at the hospital at the same time. Sorry to hear about ALi. I hope that her recovery is fast and she milks it for all it's worth:o) Sorry, no idea on the price of the ride. Although I was pretty close to finding out. Love ya!

Wendy said...

I think it depends on the hospital but it might be close to 950 bucks depending on your insurance and what they used in the vehicle. Good luck alli! Poor girl!

Laura said...

I think you should sue....Just kidding. Swing sets are dangerous though. That poor girl. It gives me flashbacks of Caleigh's broken arm. It wasn't as bad as Ali's, but still I hate to see them get hurt. The funniest part was when the doctor took off the cast and asked Caleigh if she wanted to keep it. You should have seen her face...are you kidding me?

Beth said...

Oh! That is too bad! Preston broke both his bones too a few years back. He was so excited to get a blue cast though! I wonder what color she will want:)

The Haucks said...

Oh, geez... Yeah, Ambulance rides are definitely not the cheapest of things... sorry I dont know how much, but kmow they are generally pretty pricey!

Glad to hear that Ali is feeling better and taking this all so well!!! She is such a tough little cookie!

Trevor, Brianna, Alivia, Tayvree, and Avynlee Hansen said...

Wow, what an event! man!! what a trooper!! she is so funny with all the faces she makes at the camera!! hang in there....the weeks will go by fast...but be warned...her muscles will have major atrophy when she gets the cast off and her skin will be all dry and wierd-like flaky. not so fun, but luckily it's not a body cast....i hear those are worse! ;)